Thursday 23 February 2012

Day 35 - The Transfer

The whole Embryo Transfer went swimmingly. We were admitted at 8.45am, then were taken upstairs to theatre where Mr.C was given a gown, slippers and hair net. I got to keep my top on this time, stripped off waist down and popped on my surgical attire. The embryologist came to see us and told us that we had 2 beautiful embryos, and the rest just had to catch up a little bit more.

The procedure went well. The nurses were great. My husband was in the room with me. I was a little wary when they turned a monitor around for me to see, and I thought, "What on earth are they going to put on there? I don't want to see what's happening downstairs!" And then they showed us a picture of our embryo. The embryologist was right, it was beautiful! It looked perfect.

"The Spacehopper*"
Now, I did mention in my last post that I was suffering from an unwanted protrusion, which we have nicknamed "the spacehopper".  For those of you who need a bit of help with the interpretation, I've conveniently found a picture (left) for you. Thankfully it had receded, but it was still incredibly uncomfortable. When it came time to transfer the embryo, the doctor kept tapping my leg and saying "Relax! I can see you're all tensed up!" "I'm trying," I whimpered. Deep breaths.  I was trying so hard not to think about what the doctor could see down there. More deep breaths. Just look away and focus on something else... And then it was all over, and they wheeled me out to the recovery area where we watched the latest political developments of the Australian Labour Party. It was the best thing to make me sleepy and relaxed.

I rested for 30 minutes, changed back into my clothes and we were out the door by 10.30am. We decided to go out for a late breakfast while we waited for my acupuncture appointment at 12. We had a nice breakfast at the cafe in Kings Park, which was helping with the whole relaxing thing.

My acupuncturist asked how my transfer went, and I told him it was incredibly awkward, but the doctor was saying really positive things through the whole thing. I was told that acupuncture straight after transfer increases your chances from 40% to 60%. Relaxing is also key, so he was happy that I was going home to watch a movie that makes me giggly.

So we went home and watched Super Troopers, an old favourite. We also ate the endorphin kickers, my favourite, Cadbury Creme Eggs. The breakfast, the movie, the Creme Eggs and a hilarious phone call from a dear friend must have really increased the endorphin levels because we promptly fell asleep on the couch.



So, despite the Space Hopper, I actually had a very delightful day.

Our endorphin kickers







*Spacehopper image gratefully borrowed from http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Space_hopper




4 comments:

  1. Well that procedure seemed to go nice and smoothly for you. How are you feeling? are you going about your everyday life like your normally would?? Had my EPU yesterday,13 collected, 9 have fertilised, ET planned for Sat, acupuncture booked :) looking forward to your next post! Good luck on the TWW Sunshine(BH)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sunshine, What a great result for your EPU! I think it's all easier after that stage. Healthwise, feeling good. Was back at work the next day. The spacehopper had forced me to take it a bit easier than normal. Found out we have 4 frozen embryos. Are you planning on taking the whole day off for your transfer?

      Delete
  2. Good to hear your going well. My ET is on Saturday, so will be nice to have the weekend - just trying to plan some nice things! like chick flicks and lot of chocolate. That's great you have the 4 frozen, i'd be pleased with a few frosties and not go through the jabbing again. Well good luck with the waiting game and fingers crossed for the BFP :) Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the transfer tomorrow, Sunshine. If you plan it to be a nice day, it takes a lot of the pressure off.

      Delete