Tuesday 14 February 2012

Day 26 - The Ovary Whisperer

Today I met the Ovary Whisperer. She...is...a...gem.

After my dismal results from the ultrasound yesterday, I wasn't feeling terribly optimistic this morning. I was told that my left side could have been difficult to see for whatever reason, so I wasn't looking forward to the ultrasound wand getting rammed around in there.

But the Ovary Whisperer came in smiling and instantly put me at ease. She showed me the screen and explained what she was looking for. And she was ever so gentle. She really romanced me before getting to third base. And everything she said was positive. She would rattle off some numbers to the other nurse and then quickly interpret them to me. So, my lining was good at 12mm. She said anything over 8mm is good. I had a number of follicles on my left and my right sides, and she was happy with their sizes. She told me to go home and tell my ovaries it was a job well done. She was an awesome ultrasound lady! I don't want to see anyone else for an ultrasound :)

I also met with a nurse coordinator today, who was equally helpful. I had the opportunity to ask her a few questions and get another Gonal-f kit. Questions are below.

How are Oestrogen levels related to the size of the follicle?
She explained to me that a smaller follicle will have a lower level of Estradiol (E2) and a larger follicle will have a higher level. So you want to aim for a level of at least 550 to get one nicely sized follicle. When my levels came back in my first blood test at 750, they were aiming to get it to around 1000. My second test results at 2900 were good, showing I was responsive to the drugs and that I had numerous follicles at a decent size. For a really good explanation of follicle sizes and Oestrogen levels click here (there is a good discussion on follicle sizes and E2 levels). The dangerously high levels of Oestrogen are when it approaches 12000, that's when you're at risk of Over HyperStimulation Syndrome (OHSS).

How many follicles should I be aiming for in an IVF cycle?
If you were to have only 1 or 2 good follicles, your cycle may be cancelled because  you may be wasting a lot of money for a low chance of success. They will usually aim for 5 or 6 follicles in a cycle, any more than that is a bonus. But the more follicles you have, the more chances of fertilisation, and the more embryos for further cycles.

What do I do with my used Gonal-f Kits?
Throw the empty Gonal-f Kits (including unused needles) in the bin. Take the sharps disposal container to any chemist or back to the fertility centre for disposal.

So now I wait for the FS to review all my results and tell me what my next step is.

UPDATE!
I got the phone call from the nurse today. My results were good. Four smaller ones on the left and seven bigger ones on the right. Thank the heavens!!

I have 2x16mm, 2x14mm, 2x12mm and 1x8mm on the right. The 4  follicles on the left range from 5 - 15mm. Apparently follicles grow 1-2mm per day, so I'll be going back in for another blood test and ultrasound in 2 days. Then more finger crossing.

Happy Valentines Day everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment